Tuesday, October 18, 2011

The Invisible Pain

So I'm going to do a quick lunch post based off an article I came across on Facebook. The Invisible Pain of Infertility is the article that is on Redbook.com, and I found it very refreshing to read. Most of you probably didn't know about me suffering with infertility until a couple weeks ago. Only some close family and friends knew. Since I wrote my first post to just get it out there, I've received tremendous support and it feels good to not feel like I'm hiding everything I'm going through on a daily basis. There were a few lines I just wanted to quote about this article that really hit home for me, and that's about it.
  • Infertility can be devastating, and it's time we openly acknowledged that. 
  • Everyone has the right to privacy, of course, but that secrecy has left so many women to cope alone, in pain, and often uninformed
  • When women dealing with infertility can communicate with others in their situation, they get through it in a much better state of mind and also share needed information about their options
  • Even when they find a community online, the exchanges are largely anonymous; in real life, they are typically silent
  • Twelve percent of reproductive-age American women — about 7.3 million — are having trouble conceiving or carrying a baby to term (that's about 1 in 8 women)
  • One reason infertility is considered hush-hush is that it's wrapped up in sex, a subject Americans are notoriously squirmy about. "If you start discussing infertility, you have to talk about ovaries and semen and all kinds of things you don't usually discuss over dinner"
P.S. I'm back to work today. My back is sore, this is the longest I've sat upright in the last 4 days and I am still tired, but other than that I'm doing okay! My belly button is almost completely healed up, and my other incision looks good, it's healing well and the swelling is decreasing. Have a great day, everyone! :-)

1 comment:

  1. You know I'm always there for you honey! That's what mom's are for! I know you will know this some day, even if the child(ren) you have are not conceived by you. You will make a wonderful mother and I hope I have taught you some valuable lessons. I'm praying for you and Casey. Your never alone in this battle, don't forget the hubby! Love you-MOM

    ReplyDelete