Thursday, November 22, 2012

Cloth Diapering!

I haven't posted in a few weeks, not a whole lot has changed since our AMAZING NT scan! But I figured I'd do a post on cloth diapering (CD'ing). When I was pregnant earlier this year, I started learning a little bit about cloth diapering. It was VERY confusing. I was interested, but completely confused to say the least! Anyways, this time I started researching again. I got into a couple cloth diapering groups on Facebook and started going to town. I consider myself a "researcher," I think it's from all my years of schooling! Anyways, I like to do the research, then present my case. So I started researching and immediately found Bum Genius diapers to be very appealing. They offer one-size diapers meaning, they'll fit the baby from about 8/10 lbs until 35 lbs (potty training).

Thankfully I met a new friend along the way, Cori, who directed me to a website called Jillian's Drawers where I gained so much more information and valuable research to present to Casey (whom I knew would be skeptical). So I presented him with the information and he said he'd support whatever I wanted to do, but wanted some disposables on hand just in case, I'm okay with that. I think he got a little more excited when I showed him the diaper sprayer (more info below). So the main reasons I want to cloth diaper is that it is extremely cost effective, meaning one could save at least $1,000 (probably more) by cloth diapering, and it is so good for the baby. You don't have to worry about all the crazy chemicals in disposable diapers and babies are also less likely to receive diaper rashes if they wear cloth diapers. Some say babies who wear CD's also potty training faster, plus there!!

So in one of my groups, I discovered that there is a sale going on right now for Bum Genius' Freetime's which are a one-size, all in one diaper. Meaning, it goes on almost exactly like a disposable (i.e. very easy!!) and the snaps make it adjustable by size. I haven't decided which diapers I'll start the baby off in yet, since these are likely going to be too big, I'm currently researching this. So I ordered the Freetimes below from Holistic Parent for an awesome deal to get my stash started!! I'm so excited, I can't wait to try these out!! Good news is that the daycare center where the baby will hopefully be going, supports cloth diapering yay!!

I've already gotten questions and strange looks for wanting to do this, but to me it seems like the right thing to do for us and for our baby. One of the biggest questions people have is, what do you do with the poop? Well when the baby is a newborn and is breastfed (which fingers crossed I'll be able to do), their poop is water soluble, so you just throw the diapers in the washer!! When the baby starts eating more than just milk, you can spray the poop off into the toilet using a diaper sprayer (see video below), then of course when the poop is hard you just plop it in the toilet. When the diapers are soiled, you store them in a diaper can (similar to what you do with disposables), but the liner is washable so every day or two, you wash the all the diapers including the liner.

I know this is going to take some getting used to, but I'm honestly super excited about this!! Another thing I learned in my research is that there is a CD store right in Hamburg that sells just about everything called Fresh and Fluffy Shop. They are offering a CD class on December 8th that I plan on attending to see more diapers in person and to learn even more!! One other website that I've found to be extremely valuable is Kelly's Closet who sells just about ever CD out there as well. I also found one other video (below) extremely useful that explains the different Bum Genius Diapers. I know there's still a lot of research to do on everything, but I look forward to that and learning more and more before Baby Astry arrives in May!

The beginning of my stash!!

How-to install the sprayer

The differences between the different BG diapers

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cloth diaper is a good choice. cloth diapers are easy to use & when buying a cloth diapers choosing good quality diapers is important and videos you shared is good.
    Cloth nappy Australia
    http://www.minkiebaby.com.au/

    ReplyDelete